Thanksgiving is a time of year when we all get a chance to really take a step back and realize what is important in life. Many of us let the frantic pace of everyday life distract us from how fortunate we really are to have what we have. Unfortunately, there are many families as fortunate. They aren’t in a position to provide the same feast that many of us take for granted for their families. But, you can help! This weekend the Community Food Bank of New Jersey is hosting its annual Holiday Food and Turkey Drive. The Food Bank has made is made it easier than ever to help those less fortunate living within our neighborhood and they'll be at the United Methodist Church in Ridgewood on Sunday, November 23rd between 11 and 1. Here’s how you can help:
Drop off a Donation
Community Food Bank staff and employees will be setting up shop at number of supermarkets, schools and other sites throughout the state to collect your donations. The Food Bank’s most wanted items include the following items (no glass jars or bottles, please).
- Frozen Turkey (Never Fresh)
- Canned Soups & Stews
- Canned Fruits & Vegetables
- Pasta, Rice & Grains
- Other non-perishable food items
The following are the closest drop off locations in Ridgewood and the surrounding Bergen County, all locations are active on Saturday, November 22, between 9am-2pm unless otherwise noted:
- United Methodist Church, 100 Dayton Street, Ridgewood (Sunday 23 11am-1pm)
- 1st Constitution Bank, 180 Main Street, Fort Lee (Saturday 22 9am-1pm)
- St. Peter the Apostle Church, 431 5th Avenue, River Edge
- Trinity Lutheran Church, 167 Palisades Avenue, Bogota
- Immaculate Conception Church, 49 Vreeland Avenue, Hackensack
- Teaneck Municipal Building, 818 Teaneck Road, Teaneck
- ShopRite, 175 Main Street, Lodi
- ShopRite, 540 New York Avenue, Lyndhurst
- ShopRite, 372 Broadway, Hillsdale
Click here for a complete list of drop off locations throughout New Jersey.
Alternative Ways to Participate
1) Make an Online Monetary Donation - Cash donations are actually the most efficient way to help out the food bank. The Bank’s efficient bulk purchasing and distribution network enable them to turn a $1 donations into over $9 worth of food for the less fortunate. Click here to make an cash donation online.
2) The Innovative Virtual Food Bank - If you are too busy to get out to one of the pick up locations, this unique online store allows you to purchase food items online for the food bank. You can choose from a number of the most requested and in need items. Click here to purchase donations items online.
Please visit the Community Food Bank of New Jersey online to learn more about this outstanding charitable organization and the Holiday Food and Turkey Drive.